Last reviewed: 08/2017
- Who can use interlibrary loan?
All IU South Bend faculty, staff and students. We do allow community users interlibrary loan privileges, see policies.
- How long will it take for materials to arrive?
On average 5 to 7 days for loaned materials and 2 to 3 for scanned materials. This is highly variable. Some scanned items can arrive within a couple of hours. If materials are coming from in state, loaned materials can arrive in 2-3 days. AV materials generally take longer because many libraries do not loan their AV items. Some items can be very obscure and can take a couple of weeks to arrive.
- How much may I request?
There is no limit for articles or books, but be mindful of how much you can use before they are due.
- I see a book at another IU campus, how can I borrow that book?
If a book is held at another IU campus, use Request This in IUCAT to borrow the item
- Can I borrow textbooks?
We do not borrow textbooks being used in the current semester. Interlibrary loan is a short term use of materials, usually 2 to 4 weeks and cannot be borrowed for full semesters.
- Can I request media (CDs, DVDs, etc)?
Yes it can be requested however:
- It can be difficult to obtain because other libraries do not lend media
- Media usually has a shorter checkout time (1-2 weeks)
- It likely will take longer to arrive
NOTE TO FACULTY
- See Ordering a video for class
- When my material arrives, how will I know and where do I get it?
We will email you when your item has arrived. All scanned items will be available through your interlibrary loan (ILLiad account) and loaned materials can be picked up at the circulation desk. Faculty, staff and residential students have the option of Fast Book.
- How long can I keep the loaned material?
- How much are overdue fines?
Overdue ILL books are .25 per day. Once material is 3 weeks overdue it is recalled and if not returned by recall due date there is a $25.00 non-refundable charge.
- I see that IU South Bend owns a journal/book that I need an article from, how can I get it?
We offer scanning of journal articles and book chapters from our collection. This service is for faculty, staff and students. Submit an article request through your interlibrary loan (ILLiad) account. We will scan the article and email you when it has been posted to your account.