Last reviewed: 07/2023
What type of assistance are you looking for?
Items submitted by instructors to be used by particular classes are on reserve.
Note: Textbooks are not put on reserve unless submitted by instructors.
Reserve form (Forms are also available at the Circulation Desk.)
Reserve materials are shelved behind the Circulation Desk. Students are allowed to check out materials based on the loan length chosen by the instructor. The Reserves Coordinator processes material for in-house use within 1 business day of submission. Reserves includes personal items owned by instructors, library materials, and equipment owned by departments. Reserves returned late are subject to overdue fines.
For more information, check out the complete Reserve Policy.
If you have a disability and need assistance, special arrangements can be made to accomodate most needs. Please contact Kathy Plodowski at (574) 520-4380.
For assistance on campus, contact the Office of Disability Support Services, (574) 520-4832 (voice), (574) 520-4121 (TDD)
For more information on adaptive technology and services provided, please see Disabilities Accomodations.
IU staff and students may use "Request Delivery" in IUCAT. This generates a daily report (Monday - Friday) for items to be pulled from IU Libraries. Use this feature to save yourself time!
Circulation is happy to help find any items for you. If you are unable to locate an item, please see staff at the circulation desk for assistance. If you've lost your personal items in the library, check with the staff at Circulation. Our Lost & Found items are picked up once a week by the campus parking department.
The following equipment is available for checkout from the circulation desk to IU staff and students.
- Monitor remotes for the library's 4th and 5th floor study rooms
- Power point remotes
- Digital voice recorders
- Drawing pads
- DSLR cameras
- Video projectors
- Headset microphones
The above equipment is available for 2 day checkout to faculty/staff/students only. Overdue media equipment items are assessed a fine of $10/day.
Study rooms are available on the 4th and 5th floor, facing the river. The rooms are designed for groups of 2 - 6. For this reason, an individual may be asked to move if a group needs a room.
Four rooms are open and need no reservations:
- 503D & 504D
- 403D & 404D
Reservations require a valid IU email address. Reservations may be made up to 7 days in advance. Time slots are limited to 2 hours per day. If the group does not appear after 10 minutes, the space becomes available first-come-first-served.
Conference Rooms may be reserved by faculty and staff. The conference room on 4th floor (L406) may also be reserved by student groups larger than 6 people only. Reservation approvals are processed weekdays before 5pm.
Please cancel your reservation if you will not be using the space. Please abide by the library's room conduct policy.
The library allows food and beverages (in containers with lids) inside the library. However, no food or drinks are allowed in the Hammes Information Commons computer lab.
If you find yourself getting hungry or thirsty, consider these options:
- Hammes Media Commons and Café: Coffee or tea for only $1.50. The Cafe also offers candy and microwave popcorn. A microwave is available if you need to heat up your lunch. If you forgot your utensils, we sell packets of utensils for $0.25.
- Vending Machines: Vending machines are available at the base of the library stairs to the tunnel connecting the library to Northside Hall. Also, additional vending machines are located by Northside Hall's lounge at the end of the tunnel.
- Dining Services: IU South Bend's Dining Services offers two locations on campus (Grille and SAC). Check out their website for hours of operation.
Local eateries nearby:
- Mishawaka Ave - Farmer's Market, Bruno's Pizza, Allie's Café, China House, Subway
- Ironwood - Martin's Deli
- Lincolnway West - Subway, Taco Bell, KFC, Bonnie Doon's, McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Arby's
Please pick up your trash and clean up any food or spills before leaving. Thank you.