The Library of Indiana University South Bend has grown along with the rest of the campus - that is to say, it has come into its own as the rest of IU South Bend has become strong and viable. The Library, like the campus that it is a part of, has grown from humble beginnings to a vigorous entity. It is a center of the campus.
The South Bend - Mishawaka extension center of Indiana University began as a few rented rooms in the former Central High School downtown when the center requested the University to offer a sustained extension program. The Library of the center began as a few shelves of books in one of these rooms. Toward the end of Dr. Donald F. Carmony's tenure as director of the center, circa the late 1940's, he obtained a room to be used specifically as a Library.
In 1961, Indiana University South Bend gained its own campus with the building of Northside Hall on Northside Boulevard. Within Northside Hall, a large room on the second floor next to the auditorium was designated as a Library with offices along an attached corridor. This location was considered to be a temporary home for the Library from its very first years. Mary Zimmerman, the first professional librarian at the center began work in 1962.